1. Grand Coulee Dam originally was built to irrigate the semi arid lands of the Columbia Basin and prevent flooding.
2. WWII made hydropower a necessary part of winning a war with air power-- the need for electricity to build planes -- and the "bomb."
3. The Grand Coulee Dam is the largest dam in the US and 6th largest in the world. It's concrete would form a four foot wide four inch thick sidewalk around the equator-- twice! One of it's six penstocks would carry two Colorado Rivers. Think about it.
4. One of the 12 pumping units can serve the water needs of Chicago.
5. When you turn on your air conditioner this summer, if you live in the Western US, GCD has a part in keeping you cool!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:Stevens Ave,Coulee Dam,United States
Go boldly and scatter seeds of kindness...